Saturday, January 07, 2006

Taking on Water

One of the best things about having new people in my life is how I'm suddenly exposed to everything that makes up their tastes. New music, new movies, new art, new perspectives unexamined in my own life. I think sometimes people get too comfortable in their own skin and don't take the chance often enough to bring unfamiliarity into their world.

Even though moving back to Seattle was supposed to be a return to the known, there have been so many changes in the last month that it's become a completely new experience for me. I'm also bringing my New York lens to life here, and everything's colored a little differently now.

I find iTunes filled with new music today - and it will take me days to filter the new from the old, to integrate the new sounds into my fabric. A particular favorite is Iron and Wine, a sound sparse, words simple yet rich. There's lots of bossa nova now, much Caetano Veloso, and countless low- and hi-fi bands. Some of note...CocoRosie, everything from Tropicalia Essentials, Deerhoof, and Domenico + 2.

Sometimes I feel like I can't keep up, like there's a fire hose of new things to remember, to understand and to enjoy. I'm constantly challenged and sometimes I feel my absorption rate is inadequate to the task. But at some point I'll catch up or I'll admit my weaknesses and someone will throw me a lifesaver.

No comments: